LOVE OF GOD
Today, many people say that they believe and love God. But when we observe their intentions, behavior and actions, we conclude that they are only fooling themselves and others. In fact, God Himself, when He manifested as the Messiah on earth, said that paying Him lip service is a waste of time:
Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. Matthew 7:21-23
You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you: “‘These people honor me with their lips,but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are merely human rules.’” Matthew 15:7
Therefore, we should try to discover what “loving God” truly means. Our soul consists of will and understanding because we were created in the likeness and image of God. Our will is the likeness of Divine Love and our understanding is the image of Divine Wisdom. Thus, our soul is a receptacle that is able to understand Divine Truth and receive and reciprocate Divine Love.
We should therefore believe God’s Word and love God in return because God (Infinite Being) is the necessary source of our soul and body. And we must do this FREELY and WILLINGLY because we also have the option to reject God if we so choose. We have this option because Love can only be reciprocated FREELY and WILLINGLY. If we were compelled to love God, we would be like robots. But God gave human beings freewill so that they would be able to love freely. The angels that are presently in Heaven were once human beings who FREELY and WILLINGLY chose to love God in return. In fact, they still possess a self that is free, distinct and separate from God.
Thus, on Earth, we always have the option to reject God. However, when we understand how the universe came into being from the substance (Love) and form (Wisdom) of God, we know that this is not a wise choice to make. In fact, the devils that are presently in hell were once human beings who FREELY and WILLINGLY chose to reject God. Since our self is only an empty receptacle designed to receive Divine Love and Wisdom, we really have no being of our own. And when we FREELY choose to reject God and instead choose to believe, love and rely upon our own self, our soul ends up in the darkness, lust, prison or hell of our egocentric self. Hell is then the state of our soul. We eternally burn with desires and passions because we have no Love in our heart (will). And we eternally experience negative thoughts because we have no Wisdom in our mind (understanding).
So, what does it mean “to love God?” Since God is Divine Love, Wisdom and Power, in order to love God, we must first love Truth, understand and believe God’s Word. Then we must realize Love by obeying and doing His Word. And we cannot love God without loving our neighbor first. When we intend and wisely act from the unselfish Love in our heart, we are loving God in return. We then experience eternal joy from this reciprocal conjunction. The only way we can prove that we love God is by doing His Will. And God’s Will is unselfish or Divine Love.
Some people still believe that obeying God’s commandments is difficult. But, when we understand that these commandments are in fact the laws of eternal happiness, we gladly choose to obey them. Yet some of us still have to experience the hellishness of self-love, love of the world and love of abuses for a while before they are convinced that fulfilling their selfish desires and lusts only leads to addiction and suffering.
God is Love and, when we practice Love, we are manifesting God on earth:
1. God (Love) is patient. He allows us the freedom to make mistakes and learn from our mistakes. Similarly, we must be patient with the imperfections of others.
2. God (Love) is kind. Although He allows us to freely intend, believe and do whatever we desire, God cares about us and He wants us to be in a Heavenly state. Similarly, we should care about others and be useful to them.
3. God (Love) defends and never attacks. Although He was continually under spiritual and natural attack, Jesus never retaliated or sought revenge. And He defended all those who were innocent and powerless. Similarly, we should not attack anyone, physically or verbally. And we should defend those who are abused and mistreated.
4. God (Love) is faithful. God has faith that we will eventually learn from our mistakes and believe and do His Word. Similarly, we should be loyal to His Word.
5. God (Love) trusts. Although He allows us the freedom to choose, God trusts that we will eventually do what is Good. Similarly, we should see the Good (however small) that is in others. When they see that we trust them, they will be encouraged to change their ways.
6. God (Love) perseveres. Even though God sees us commit many sins, He perseveres in His love for us. The world is an uncertain and hazardous place and we may have to experience confusion, disease, poverty, violence, war, separation and death. Nevertheless, we should persevere to the end because Heaven, Love and Truth are eternal.
7. God (Love) endures. God (Love) was, is and will be forever. If we have Love in our heart and never give up under any circumstance, this Love will surely and certainly carry us into Heaven.
He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now. He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him. 1 John 2:9-10.
If you love Me, you will keep My commandments. John 14:15